Friday, November 2, 2018

Zambia-DRC & The REEL Project


Blog
11-1-2018

­LAX-LHR
This trip has been postponed ­one too many times to not allow for it to come to fruition this time. For many reasons, I cannot get into detail as to why I have had to postpone and completely change course (from country to country) of my trip; I will just happily report that I am en route- in air- and on my way.

Just to take a step back a bit, allow me to re-introduce myself to my new friends, colleagues and acquaintances.  It was in 2017 when I sat with the board of directors of The REEL Project and was told, “Krista, it is time, it is time that you take The REEL Project and make this not just a passion, but a business”. This was certainly a crossroads for me as I had just given birth to my daughter and was embarking on an entirely new world of both motherhood (X 2) and, more importantly single motherhood!


My passion has always come first in life- sometimes to the detriment of my own well being that is, until I became a mother.

Motherhood has taught me, challenged me, given me purpose and drive more than anything this world could ever give or do. And don’t get me wrong, especially for those of you that know me- I have LIVED.

That all (above) being said, motherhood also takes a toll on YOU as It replaces your purpose; simple day-to-day life, and that is ok until however, it is not. We, you, and me, US, we can and do have a purpose, finding that purpose, in my opinion, is half of the journey. However, when you find your purpose, your passion in life and that instinctively is replaced by a new passion (such as a child), you are instantly put second. You owe nothing more than EVERYTHING to that little human. But one cannot forget the AMAZING human that was chosen to bring that little one into life and one therefore cannot forego who they are, you- who WE are.
 

I am for the first time, in 6+ years, finding my footprint in my passion again, and it feels so scary, so good and I am so utterly vulnerable and emotional. My passion happens to be assisting IDP’s and Refugees, I work in post-conflict areas. I literally FIGHT to help those less fortunate. And here I am, halfway between the USA and Europe en route on a 3 day journey to the continent of Africa to find it again, me again and help those in need.

11-2-2018

LHR-JNB
I have about 2 hours before my next flight starts boarding. I’ve had a productive couple of hours; a shower I got some work done and managed to book my ticket about two hours ago. Funny thing is, I was unable to book my Johannesburg- Ndola, Zambia ticket until I had already departed for the first leg of my flight. My original ticket was: LAX-LHR-JNB-FBM-JNB-LHR-LAX I had to remove the FBM flight because of the unrest in the DR Congo and explained at nauseam to both the third party and direct to Virgin Atlantic. It was a ping-pong game of I should call them they will call me etc… Finally, once I was air bound, I got the green light (well, technically I have to call once I land in Johannesburg and confirm they remove that leg of the flight entirely). Apparently there isn’t an “exception” for civil unrest when flying into certain regions of the world.  So, rather than traveling to the DRC, I will be conducting an assessment in northern Zambia, bordering DR Congo. Another fun fact, Zambia is where REEL Project all started. I’ll circle back another entry on that one. Moving forward….Christian and I will have approximately 6 days total in the field to get an ungodly amount of research done.
I've just skimmed through this and hmmm, maybe this mama needs a little more sleep! ha. Stay tuned.










2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Love you cousin, safe travels.
    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following your journey and so so proud of you! Amazing work, amazing woman!!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete