Wednesday, April 5, 2023

And now to the Back-Up plan...

Bujumbura - training - kaka off to Mpala in T-3 days 

Due to the current circumstances at the border and the uncertainty of what could happen, Kaka and I have devised another plan, our backup SAFE plan. We've been bunkered down in Bujumbura, spending all hours of daylight going over our strategy, timing, schedule, budget, calendar, materials, contacts, checklists etc...  We will be calling Professor Roberts in the next couple of hours to get his go ahead as well, but in the meantime, this is what we have proposed...

Kaka will travel back to Uvira on Sunday, and take the boat down to Kalemie (overnight); once in Kalemie, he will overnight, then the following day, make his way to Moba (via another boat); once in Moba, overnight and visit Kapondo and family. Then Kaka will make his way through this rain (via motorbike) for the trip to Mpala (3+ hours pending "road" conditions). Once in Kalemie, Kaka will organize the construction team and start with one classroom...at a time.  

I will return back to the States, a week earlier than planned. I've already been in touch with the gentleman at the DRC Embassy in Washington (long story but my original O.G. contact at the DRC Embassy was recently transferred after 24 years! to Buenos Aires Embassy- over the 15 years of The REEL Project, I've delivered packages to his family in the village he is from, which is very remote, I've met his family, delivered goods, and thus solidified an everlasting friendship. When I was at the border the other day, I reached out to him, and IMMEDIATELY, he got back to me, gave me the direct contact phone number of the gentleman at the Embassy - who processed my visa- and from there, we were able to confirm our plan moving forward. I had the option of sending my passport back to D.C. and waiting for the return to proceed however, the turnaround would have been 7-13 days...not to mention the security issues on the other side of the border. Once I am back in the States, I'll send my passport and get all sorted for my return trip end of June first weeks of July 2023.

There are really two parts to this TRP initiative, all of which coincide or collide really quite organically. Professor Roberts (now retired, one of my former Professors at UCLA African Studies) and his late wife, Polly Roberts have significant ties to Mpala; actually, we all do. The second part of this project is to get more information on the Madonna, a prominent figure or 'nkisi' that Professor Roberts is currently writing about (publishing a book). 

The Katangan Madonna said to be associated with the Mabikira of Mpala and Our Mother (la Vierge Marie) has been known to have left Mpala via the sculpture. Is the sculpture recognized or known as an "nkisi “power figure” locally or otherwise, this is the question? Professor Roberts has been told that Our Mother went to stay with a Bulumbu spirit medium somewhere in the mountains, a good way to the southwest of Mpala, maybe during this initiative we will be able to find out more information on the subject matter and questions around the Madonna.

So, while the roofs of the classrooms are being rehabilitated, Kaka will immerse himself in the research of the Madonna within the Mpala community. Kaka will remain in Mpala for up to 3 months to oversee the construction and management of the project. Here are a few more pics, and the rain has compromised my connection so, TO BE CONT.....

"kazi, kazi" (work, work)

My, friend who greets
me every morning for coffee!




and I will return at the end of June beginning of July to finalize Polly's Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment