Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Limits...

As I sit here in Pweto, DRC finishing up my last two final papers for the quarter; one on the structure and function of NGO’s (non-government organizations) and the other on comparative education…I was just surprised by a visit from two dear friends I’ve known since my work in the refugee camp in Zambia, 2007. One is the father of Antoine who started the computer center, the other, Papa Kabulo (whom we nicknamed ‘Yoda’ because of the start resemblance!). Unfortunately, Papa Kabulo lost one of his sons yesterday, two more are in the hospital now and last year he lost yet another child. I can’t help but think back to the camp and how access to education and health care was readily available and free; I wonder if Papa Kabulo’s children would still be alive and or well today if they were still in the camp. It is further unfortunate to be writing about the situation of NGO’s and education because the parallel is too stark to ignore. This is why the type of work I do can get frustrating because it’s like no matter how much you do, or how you try to carry it out and pay attention to all the details that are IN YOUR FACE something fails, someone is lost yet you still have to get up and be strong- and move forward. Today will be a difficult day…

No comments:

Post a Comment