Isaac has been working in Organic Agriculture for years now, he even took a three year course and is certified. He has been working with a local doctor in Lusaka and has conducted multiple trainings over the course of the past few years. We discussed the importance of composting and organic farming and how we can incorporate this into an Income Generating Activity (IGA) in Kalemie. Together we came up with: The REEL Organic Community Garden.
Thus far Malela and I have come up with an exciting amount of project ideas- so many that we had to take a few deep breathes and a number of steps back! Based on the current situation, the feedback that we have received and how to move forward- The REEL Project's next project initiative will be the following:
- A REEL:
- Educational Initiative
- Continue in our efforts in supporting the education of vulnerable children
- Workspace Initiative
- Similar to any "workspace" around the world, TRP will provide a space for students and locals access to a work space, internet, research material, a printer, a conference room etc...
- Humanitarian film Initiative
- As 'film' is HUGE in the DRC, providing the opportunity to show a film once a week (or bi-monthly), TRP will produce a multitude of informational 1-2 minute shorts that will be mandatory in showing prior. These films will follow the WaSH program, educate in the most sensitive and culturally relevant of ways. We will work alongside in collaboration with our coordinating partners to deliver the best and most direct messages.
- Organic Community Garden
- Malela will be meeting with multiple organizations that are currently working in the agriculture sector in the DRC (Kalemie specifically). TRP will find the best ngo to partner with for our community garden and we will bring Isaac Ndala in to start a 6 week training program. Additionally, we will work within the community to share in the labor and care of the garden in exchange for the plentiful goods it produces!